WELCOME TO ST HENRY’S COLLEGE OBA
The Roman Catholic Mission of the Diocese of Jaffna, Sri Lanka, established a boys’ school at Ilavalai in 1877. It was named as “Roman Catholic Tamil Boys’ School”.
The medium of instruction was Tamil. English was taught in the Boys’ School from 1904. This was not enough for the thirst of knowledge of the residents of Ilavalai and the adjoining villages. With the ardent request by the locals, Rev. Fr. L. Rodrigo, the Parish Priest of Ilavalai, founded an English school in the year 1907. It was named “St. Henry’s School” after the name of former Bishop of Jaffna, Rt. Revd. Dr. Henry Julian.
The First Teachers
Mr. B J Vincent and Mr. L. Paul were the first lay teachers. They supported Fr. L. Rodrigo with their fullest dedication. The school admitted children of all denominations.
The Era of Society of St. Joseph’s Brothers
The Bishop of Jaffna decided to give the responsibility of developing St. Henry’s School to the Brothers of the Society of St. Joseph (SSJ) in 1910. This was a very important landmark in the history of St. Henry’s. Rev. Bro. Felix was made the principal of St. Henry’s. He was an energetic and hard working person who won the wholehearted support of the people. The Order of Brothers of the Society of St. Joseph had been earlier established for the first time in the world in Jaffna and had been engaged in the running of an orphanage, a Tamil Teacher Training School, and a printing press. Later on, they established schools in Kayts, Vathiri, Batticaloa, and Hatton and ventured overseas to establish one in Rangoon.